Tiger Daughter is a new solo show by actor and musician Charlene Kaye (Succession, Starkid, SNL) about what happens when you rebel against your immigrant Chinese Tiger Mom’s dreams of you playing Carnegie Hall by time you’re 12, and instead become her worst nightmare: a slutty shredder in an all girl Guns N’ Roses cover band called Guns N’ Hoses (with the slogan “Welcome to the Vajungle!”) Your Tiger Mom then has to watch the nightmare version of the American Dream she envisioned for her firstborn daughter play out in front of her eyes…while also stomaching the fact that her ultimate dream was to be a famous musician herself.
The show is an unhinged, shocking and deeply felt journey exploring the tension between Charlene and her mother, Lily, as Lily offers unsolicited advice on how Charlene should live her life, and Charlene fights for her mother’s respect as an Asian American rock star—carrying inherited baggage along the way. It’s a story about how we endlessly misunderstand each other, eventually asking the question: Do we need to understand people in order to love them?
All sales are final. Refunds and exchanges are offered only when a show is canceled or rescheduled.
- Please note: An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. Senior citizens and people with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable. By visiting our establishment, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
- Patrons must be 18 or older to attend events or classes at the DC Improv. Any exceptions are clearly noted in the event descriptions.
- There is a two-item minimum per customer. This can be any combination of food items or beverages. Bottled water and soft drinks count as items. (The two-item minimum does not apply to comedy classes.)
- Coupons or passes for free admission cannot be used for a show listed as a "special event."
- Matinees, the first show of any evening in our main showroom and all shows in our lounge showroom are seated by time of arrival. The earlier you arrive, the more options you'll have. Please note that the size of your party can affect what options are available to you, as certain tables and areas are designated for larger parties.
- "Late shows" in the main showroom have assigned seating. Assignments are made in order of ticket purchase. Generally speaking, the earlier you buy tickets, the closer you will be to the stage.
- If tickets are designated as being at a "reserved table," your party will have a table to itself. For general admission tickets, if your party does not fill an entire table, you may be sharing a table with other patrons.