Come out and wordplay! You're invited to watch or compete in Pun DMV, our pun contest. There are two parts to the evening:
The Freestyle: Each competitor chooses a punning theme, then prepares in advance a two-minute speech packed with puns inspired by that theme. On the night of the show, the competitors deliver their speeches on stage. Judges will evaluate each performance on the quality of puns and overall delivery, then reveal the big winner. This event is limited to 10 people. To compete, you must buy a FREESTYLE ticket.
The Tournament: An on-the-spot punning tournament featuring up to 16 people. At the start of each match, contestants are given a theme. They then take turns making up puns on the spot. People are eliminated when they're stumped. The last person standing moves on to the next round (or victory)! Anyone in attendance can compete, and you can sign up on site when you arrive.
The winners of either contest get prizes from the Improv (and eternal glory)! Click here for more info on Pun DMV, including some samples of how the games work in practice.
All sales are final. There are no refunds or exchanges.
- Patrons must be 18 or older to attend events or classes at the DC Improv. Any exceptions are clearly noted in the event descriptions on dcimprov.com.
- There is a two-item minimum per customer. This can be any combination of food items or beverages. Bottled water and soft drinks count as items.
- For our main showroom, the first show of any night is the "early" show. All other shows are "late" shows. Early shows are seated by time of arrival. The earlier you arrive at the club, the greater your seating options will be. Late shows have assigned seating, and assignments are made in order of ticket purchase. The earlier you buy tickets, the better your seats will be (i.e. closer to the stage).
- For our lounge, all shows regardless of start time are seated by time of arrival. If you require special accommodations (wheelchair access, etc.) please call the Improv at 202-296-7008 and inform us ahead of time.
- If you purchased tickets and want to ensure that you are seated with another party that bought tickets separately, call the Improv at 202-296-7008 and inform us ahead of time.
- For "early" shows, doors usually open one hour before showtime. Seating for "late" shows usually begins 15-30 minutes before showtime. Check your e-mail confirmation for specifics.